• james51082

Reserves Beat Eynsham With a "Spooktacular" Goal on Haloween Weekend!

What a difference a week can make in football as the Reserves bounced back from a disappointing defeat to a hard earned 2-1 victory against Eynsham. It was another young side that took the field hoping to put right the many wrongs of their last outing. It was clear from the kick off that this week, the whole team were more focused on the task at hand. The opening exchanges were even with Woodstock pressing hard and Eynsham playing on the counter attack with neither side being able to find that final ball. Eynsham grew into the game as the half went on and had some prolonged spells of pressure, going close on several occasions, with the small number 10 Page causing issues with his relentless pressing, making a nuisance of himself at every occasion. However, Cullen rarely looked troubled and the Woodstock back line held firm with a superb pressing game on the edge of their box. The game ebbed and flowed from end to end with Woodstock pressing hard themselves but letting themselves down in the final third. However the deadlock was broken on 38 minutes. Knight gave away a free kick wide on the right which was played in to the box by Ryan Stockford (who is duel signed with the Woodstock 1st Team) where Page slipped his marker to poke the ball home past Cullen to make it 1-0 to the away side. Woodstock heads didn't drop and they had their own chance before the break with Haynes firing well wide. Woodstock came in trailing at halftime but were not cowed. Some encouraging words in the dressing room were the order of the day and Woodstock came back out like they meant business. Hazell was put through within seconds of the restart but was wasteful and squandered his effort when perhaps it was easier to score. Parker and Ward worked tirelessly in midfield to keep Stockford well in their pocket. Haynes and Murphy, the stand in striker, harassed and pressured the Eynsham defence with Woodstock using the wins effectively with Walker and the substitute Young causing issues for their full backs. Eventually the hard work began to pay dividends with Woodstock looking the more likely to score and with Cantwell, Knight, Howes and Mundy looking strong when dealing with the countering Eynsham. The one time they broke the back line, the superb Mundy was on hand to clear off the line with Cullen well beaten. Following an injury, Haynes was replaced by Leach who added a bit of physicality to proceedings. Eynsham continued to look dangerous on the break. However, with the game becoming more stretched and Woodstock looking the more dangerous, Eynsham began to crack under the pressure and make mistakes. It was one of these mistakes that led to a corner which Parker fired into the box for captain Joe Knight, rising above two defenders to head home past the Eynsham keeper on 75 minutes. Eynsham heads began to drop and Woodstock sensed blood. Less than 5 minutes later Parker spotted the Eynsham keeper off his line and fired in with a magnificent 45 yard lob to send the players, bench and supporters into rapture. Eynsham discipline had gone with Knight needlessly being scythed down and having to go off injured. The introduction of Harvey and some readjustments allowed Woodstock to see the game out, despite a few heart in the mouth moments. The game ended 2-1 to The Reds to pull the side away from the drop zone and comfortable into mid table. Standout performances again from Mundy who must surely be knocking on the door of the first team with Matt Pike watching from the sidelines, and from James Ward who ran himself into the ground and put his body on the line for the team. However this game will be remembered most for the audacious long range strike by Morgan Parker, who probably had his best game so far in a Woodstock shirt.  

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Town bow out of the Bluefin Challenge Cup after losing 6-1 at Evesham Development on Monday night. We say Evesham Development as they were Development in name only minutes with the majority of their s