• james51082

First Team Go Down To Double Digits Against Champions Elect

The less said about this one the better as the ever impressive Ardley narrowly beat an under strength Woodstock side 10-1. 

Town struggled to get to grips with a poor playing surface that narrowly passed inspection but deteriorated badly and were 1-0 down within 5 minutes after some poor defending on the right allowed Troy Bryan to tap in the low centre. 

1 became 2 minutes later when a free kick was headed onwards and after Crowther parried, a suspiciously offside Gallacher was on hand to poke home for the hosts.

There was an early change for Woodstock as Kevin Pike was forced off through injury to be replaced by 18 year old Matty Walker.

Within 15 minutes, it was 3-0 to Ardley, the linesman inexplicably keeping his flag down allowing the impressive albeit very offside Bryan to round Crowther to slot home.

Town had no answer for Ardleys direct approach and they attacked wave after wave after wave with Crowther at his best to keep the champions elect at bay.

Woodstock had chances of their own with Walker missing a gilt edged chance to reduce arrears but fired over at the far post. Hawkins and Beckford also having efforts. 

More goals followed for the hosts and Town were lucky to only go in 6 down at the break (albeit 3 goals with more of a suspicion of offside) with Bryan scoring 4 and Gallagher with a brace.

Woodstock found a higher gear after the break and began to press. However it was Ardley who scored first, hitting the hapless visitors on the counter. A fine strike from Harris made it 7 before Jamie Mundy added an 8th for Ardley. 

Still Woodstock battled and refused to give up. Green going close but firing wide. Hawkins burst through on 60 minutes but pulled up clutching his leg (later diagnosed as a torn Hamstring). This meant that super sub keeper Matt Ingram was drafted in as the lone striker for the last half hour. 

Ingram was involved in the Woodstock goal with a deft touch to play the ball out wide to Beckford who's centre was converted by Davies for his 13th in 16 games. The comeback was on! 

The comeback was short lived as Ardley again hit Woodstock on the break, this time it was Landers with the Ardley goal to make it 9-1. 

There was still time for Ardley to complete the humiliation with a 10th and final goal from Mundy with his second of the game.

Despite the scoreline, Town battled until the very end and gave a good acount of themselves in the second half. 

The difference between the two sides came down to quality in possession and more clinical finishing (albeit with a little help from officials, sadly not for the first time this season).

With the Shrivenham game postponed, town will have chance to regroup before their next game in a fortnight against New College, a game that is eminently winnable. 

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Town bow out of the Bluefin Challenge Cup after losing 6-1 at Evesham Development on Monday night. We say Evesham Development as they were Development in name only minutes with the majority of their s