• james51082

Town Bow Out of the Cup on Penalties

A threadbare Woodstock Town exited that Oxfordshire FA Intermediate Cup at the quarter final stage following a tense penalty shoot out. 

Nothing could separate the sides after 120 minutes of competitive and physical football during which Town rode their luck at times against a fast and strong Heyford side

Woodstock were without a recognised striker for the game and drafted in Max Dunmall for his first game in over two years to lead the line for the majority of the match. 

Heyford pressed and pinned the home side  back in the first half as Town produced their worst 45 minutes of the season. a goal line clearance from Collins and a smart save down low from Sam Jeffrey kept the scores level. Jeffrey was on the receiving end of some rough stuff as Heyford attempted to physically dominate Woodstock. But try as they might, Woodstock held firm and the scores were level at the break.

Woodstock started better in the second half with Wartalski going close, seeing his effort dip past the far post. Town began to string some passes together and grew into the game as the half went on. Heyford always looked dangerous on the break and saw an effort strike the bar. But despite the end to end nature of the game and some fine build up play from Woodstock, neither keeper really had anything to do as the game entered the final stages. Woodstock finished the game in the ascendency but couldn’t force a late goal against a tired Heyford side. The ref blew for the end of 90 minutes with neither side having put the ball in the back of the net. Extra time saw Woodstock throw caution to the wind and pen Heyford back for long spells. The visitors broke with pace and strength and made things very difficult for Town to break them down or fully commit men forwards. Collins had a chance late on in the second half of extra time but the ball was smuggled away. Heyford maintained a constant threat and went close themselves. Frazer Scott could have nicked it at the death but saw his shot squirm agonisingly past the post. With nothing to separate the two teams, the game was to be decided by penalties. Wartalski scored the first for Woodstock with Heyford scoring their first kick also. Josh Cox scored but was ordered to retake the kick with the second effort striking the foot of the post and out again. There was then some unnecessary pedantry and gamesmanship from the more than partisan Heyford club linesman that unsettled Town and spoiled what was otherwise a cracking game played in good spirits by both sets of players. With concentration and rhythm ruined by the long delay, Waite missed his kick and an injured Charlie Collins saw his kick well saved by former Woodstock keeper Matt Ingram. Heyford advance to the semi final, and perhaps on the balance of play over the 120 minutes deservedly so. Both sets of players should be proud of the effort they put in today. Thanks to the Heyford lads for staying after the game, tidying up the changing rooms and to Kieran Chambers for donating the football card winning back to Woodstock Town. A very classy touch. Next up is Adderbury in the league 

134 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Town bow out of the Bluefin Challenge Cup after losing 6-1 at Evesham Development on Monday night. We say Evesham Development as they were Development in name only minutes with the majority of their s