• Admin

Development Lads KO Kidlington in Local Demolition Derby

The Feathers Hotel Sponsored Development Team bagged their first three points of the season yesterday with a 5-0 demolition of local rivals Kidlington A.

Both teams were without a win from their opening 2 games although Woodstock could count themselves unlucky having had the better of the play in both of their previous games. The two teams last met back in a March where a 1-1 draw was played out at Yarnton Road in what was the last game to be played before lockdown. Woodstock were unlucky on that occasion as they were pegged back by a late Ethan Merry goal very much against the run of play.

Woodstock started brightly but the opening minutes were a cagey affair with the Reds probing Kidlingtons youngsters who appeared happy to sit deep and compact, organised by veteran defender Simon Grossman.

The greens had no answer however when Town opened the scoring after 7 minutes after Dion Long let fly from 25 yards into the top corner. Charlie Leach has no chance and remained rooted to the spot.

Just 4 minutes later, town doubled the lead from a Sam Cox corner. Grossman let Jordan Veale slip past him to rise above everyone and head home for his first goal in Woodstock colours.

Town continued to attack but weren’t able to press home their dominance as the all too familiar pattern of wasteful finishing reared it’s head after scoring with both of their first two efforts.

Ethan Waite, Sam Cox, Liam Bluett, Ed Keppie, Dion Long, Aiden Cowles and Shaun Pike all had at least one effort apiece with only Cox and Cowles forcing the Kidlington keeper into action as the visitors looked dejected and creaked under what was constant pressure. The visitors only chance of the half fell to Grossman who’s header was easily gathered by Molloy.

2-0 at half time brought back memories of the corresponding fixture last year when Kidlington were 2 up before capitulating to lose 4-2. Town were determined not to let that happen and started the second half as they ended the first, firmly camped out in the opposition half.

Bluett had an effort blocked as Town went looking to put the game to bed which they did on 55 minutes. Aiden Cowles played the perfect through ball to unlock the Kidlington defence allowing Sam Cox to break free and casually lift the ball over the advancing Leach from 20 yards out.

The game was dead and buried 4 minutes later as the impressive teenager Liam Bluett weaved past 5 Kidlington players into the box where he smashed into the roof of the net to make it 4-0.

From this point on Woodstock never looked in any danger with Kidlington limited to rare counter attacks that only mustered two more efforts on target (they had just 3 during the entire game) through ex Woodstock players Morgan Parker and Ryan Hambridge.

Town could have and maybe should have scored more with Bluett misssing the chance of the match when he scuffed wide at the near post.

Grossman was the only stand out player for the visitors using his experience to try in vain to rouse a team that had clearly thrown in the towel before halftime.

Despite the constant pressure and last ditch defending by the visitors, Woodstock were forced to wait until two minutes from time to score again. Harrison Pearse made it 5-0 with a wicked curling effort from the edge of the box with the final whistle blown soo after to put Kidlington out of their misery.

5-0 the final score line and one that somewhat flattered the visitors who never really came to terms with the game being a local derby. Woodstock were more clinical than previous games but still should be getting a better return for the chances and pressure they exerted on their opponents.





Woodstock 5-0 Kidlington


Woodstock 23-5 Kidlington

On target

Woodstock 13-3 Kidlington


Woodstock 9-12 Kidlington


Woodstock 7-5 Kidlington

Man of the Match

Liam Bluett - Bossed the midfield for 90 minutes and capped the performance with a fine solo goal.

126 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Evesham Run Riot to Dump Woodstock Out the Cup

Town bow out of the Bluefin Challenge Cup after losing 6-1 at Evesham Development on Monday night. We say Evesham Development as they were Development in name only minutes with the majority of their s